GOOD NEWS, THE FEDORA 24 HAS BEEN RELEASED!
Finally, our wait is over. After postponing the release date for a total of three times, Fedora Project has released Fedora 24 and it is packed with tonnes of new features and improvements.
You might already know that Fedora is one of the most popular Linux distro in the Linux community. In fact, it is the distro that Linus Torvalds, the father of the Linux Kernel himself, uses. Fedora is the community project of the first $2 billion open source company, Red Hat.
The newly released Fedora 24 is another step forward on the journey to making Linux great for both users and developers alike. A journey that began 13 solid years ago.
Fedora 24 Features
- Desktop Environment: The Fedora 24 ships with GNOME 3.20 as its default desktop environment, implying it will have all of GNOME’s latest features.
- Upgrade Process: The Software application will be able to detect and offer upgrades to the latest Fedora releases henceforth. Fedora posted on their blog that “Your content downloads in the background, and when ready, you can reboot and upgrade”. Luckily, Fedora 23 will receive this feature in order to facilitate a seamless upgrade to Fedora 24.
- Flatpak: Flatpak is a framework for packaging Linux desktop applications and it works by isolating applications from each other as well as the system and modulating them in Shared Runtime, Bundled Libraries etc just like Ubuntu’s Snap packaging. Flatpak support is coded into the Software application in Fedora 24.
- Office Suite: Fedora 24 now includes LibreOffice 5.1.
- QGnomePlatform: QGnomePlatform is an awesome project that aims to unify the visual experience of GNOME and Qt applications by synchronizing between GNOME and Qt tools settings. Thus, the application will look as similar as possible whether it is designed for GNOME or KDE.
- Wayland: Wayland is the recently introduced display technology that is meant to replace X. It provides Fedora 24 with the latest features as well as improved security for everyday usage.
- Under the hoods: Other than the above-mentioned upgrades, Fedora 24 comes with various usability improvements.
The Server edition is now in a way, focused more on modularity and has discarded unnecessary packages, which makes it more compact in size.
The Workstation edition also has some visual improvements.
The Cloud edition features a Platform as a Service(PaaS) system that makes application development and deployment less tedious, and OpenShift Origin.
DOWNLOAD FEDORA 24
As usual, Fedora Spins & Labs are released alongside the three main Fedora editions – Workstation, Server and Cloud.
Fedora Spins are what are referred to as Flavors within the Ubuntu universe, and they offer alternative desktop environments like Xfce, LXDE, KDE, MATE, among others.
Fedora Labs offer extensive collections of software packaged together for specific purposes or activities like robotics, gaming, scientific etc. Fedora images for ARM devices are also available for download.
If you have never tried Fedora, we don’t know what you are waiting for. If you already use it then buckle up and grab the latest release to receive the greatest features from Fedora 24!