See The 10 Best Features in The Newly Released Linux Kernel 4.8
Codenamed “Psychotic Stoned Sheep”, Linus Torvalds, the creator of Linux, has officially released the Linux 4.8 kernel after the eight Release Candidate just according to schedule and it is already available for download from the Linux kernel website.
Linus mentioned in his announcement post that the last Release Candidate doesn’t have that many changes, adding “which maybe means that I could probably just have skipped rc8 after all. Oh well, no real harm done”.
10 Best features of Linux 4.8 kernel
There is a summary of all the notable changes since the rc8 as a mix of arch fixes, drivers, and generic code in the release announcement. See the list of the best features the Linux 4.8 kernel release provides below:
- AMDGPU OverDrive support for overclocking AMD graphic cards
- NVIDIA Pascal support, which includes only initial support
- Raspberry Pi 3 SoC supported by mainline kernel
- ACPI Low-Power Idle support
- HDMI CEC support after years of development
- Btrfs ENOSPC improvement
- Hardened usercopy protection
- ASLR for kernel memory sections
- Microsoft Surface 3 touch support
- Intel Virtual Button driver for Skylake laptops