MATE Desktop 1.18 Now Supports Only GTK3
As you may know, there’s a brand new version of the MATE Desktop.
According to Martin Wimpress (MATE developer) in a blog post, this version 1.18 focuses
on completing the migration to GTK3+ and adopting new technologies to replace some of deprecated components MATE Desktop 1.16 still replied on
From now henceforth, MATE desktop no longer supports GTK2+; only GTK3+.
Changes in Mate Desktop 1.18
The main changes that came in this update are mostly under the hood changes including major bug fixes, User Experience improvements, and a modern polish to the User Interface, there are visible changes we can take note of:
- Caja file manager now features a copy queue which can be paused while transfers are in progress
- A “confirm to delete” message has also been added to the file manager to make sure you are trashing the right files
- MATE Desktop 1.18 has also received an improved mouse/touchpad support
- A lock screen background that picks accented colors from your wallpaper
- Notifications now have support for icons (e.g., for controlling music playback)
- You can now close tabs in your MATE Terminal by middle clicking
- Added TTC fonts support to the font viewer
- MATE Calculator is now GTK3
Download MATE Desktop 1.18 on Ubuntu 16.04
All the components of MATE Desktop 1.18 are available to be downloaded for free from its releases website page.
When Ubuntu Mate 17.04 is released in April it will be running this latest version of Mate Desktop 1.8 as well as in the Ubuntu archives for users of other derivative distros.